Tuesday 3 March 2009

After two weeks of strenuous gallivanting around Canada, Colum returned to Glasgow and, while still not quite adjusted to GMT, travelled up to Inverness for a spot of training.


After getting the blisters warmed up on the Saturday with an eight mile, pre-rugby stroll we headed out for the hills of Glen Affric on the Sunday. Spring may have been prodding the crocuses (or crocii I suppose) into action down in the glen but it was all winter in the mountains. We refreshed the all important ice-axe braking on a likely patch of snow as we headed up An Tudair. Evidently I need a spot more practice because when I did slip on a small slope later in the day my combination of shrieking, performing an ice-resiliency test with my gonads and hurling my axe away into a drift of snow did nothing to convince Colum that I actually know what I'm doing in the winter hills!




Nevertheless we safely made our way off Mam Sodhail and began a weary decent through snow and bog to the car park that seemed to have slyly moved a couple of miles further East than where we left it that morning.








2 comments:

  1. Didn't Colum tell you about his adventures with Canadian ice?? There was no shrieking, but there was much laughter by all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike thought me everything he knows about use of the ice axe - ah feck!

    ReplyDelete